Tabs

8.21.2011

Hungry.

image courtesy: google images


I spoke too soon. I went to do a short run (3 miles) and then work out with Ray lifting weights after work today. Ray is a personal trainer that has been training people for over 30 years (he told me today he used to train JFK Jr. three times a week many years ago when he lived in NYC, WHAT!?). He teaches Kinesiology at a college nearby, and knows his stuff. He also works at the fitness center in my school district, and coaches the cross country team.

He first approached me when I started using the treadmill this summer, asking me if he could give me feedback. "Of course!", I said. I literally had a one on one personal trainer, for free, from that moment on. Awesome.
He has been training me the past six weeks, and greatly helped me with my gait and posture (I used to pound, pound, pound the treadmill when I ran, I sounded like a Clydesdale), and he has helped me to improve my time by a minute a mile. All the while he has been encouraging me, changing up my workouts, writing everything down for me, and even setting the weights on the weight stack for me. When the weather cools down he is going to train me on the track and train me in intervals to improve my time. Did I mention this is entirely free?! I know, I am beyond lucky, I have to pinch myself most days.

This day, however, I was not up for weights at all. I felt wasted my entire run. Light headed, no energy, just- spent. I finished the run, and saw Ray walking up to the fitness center as I was leaving. I told him I was gonna go home because I wasn’t feeling so hot. The first thing he said to me was, “Sara, I am wondering about your diet. How many calories are you eating per day?” Well, sheepishly I said 1200 net: meaning 1200 plus the amount of calories I burned running that day. Not a lot.

I recently lost 18 pounds and am loving my success in getting back in shape. I get excited when my sweet husband tells me I look good, when people I work with comment on the weight I've lost. I am proud at my dedication to losing the weight and taking back control of my body. But, dieting and training for a marathon do not mix. I admit I am afraid to eat more, I don’t want to gain the weight back. I have to find my balance, which will come with practice and experimentation, I suppose. So, there in the hot parking lot, sweaty and tired and embarrassed, looking up at tall Ray he said, “I know you’ve got this hot body and everything, but you need to really watch your intake and take a diary and be eating more”. Well Ray, you called me out. With a compliment, kinda? I am not sure if it was a compliment, but I know he is right. About the eating, not the hot body.


So now, I have a new challenge to get excited about. Improve my time, strengthen the muscles needed to be a strong runner, maintain a weight I am happy with, and eat the proper calories I need to finish my run and do my workouts. Challenge, accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment