Tabs

1.17.2012

Marathon Recap.... and some Muddy Danglers.

This weekend was one of the most fun, and most tiring of my life. My husband and I both competed and completed something we were nervous about, and did it with smiles on our faces. On Friday after work, we drove up to Phoenix to pick up my race bib and visit the expo for the P.F. Chang's Marathon on Sunday. We sampled a lot of goodies, talked to the people about the Disney races, and enjoyed all the excitement in the air. We really like expos~ people are always so friendly, and there's something to say about all coming together for one goal, one hobby. Afterwards, we met up with the team of "Muddy Danglers" for the Tough Mudder competition for some carbo-loading and strategics.

The next morning we were up bright and early to head to the Mesa proving grounds to cheer on our men in the Tough Mudder event. It was a 13+ mile race with 25+ obstacles, including ice baths, scaling walls, greased monkey bars, and electric shock. They all did so amazing, worked together, finished as a team, and had a great time. They were so exhausted, sore, bloodied, and cold after wards. And they can't wait to do it again...


After walking around in the dirt for four hours, we stopped for burritos, and went home to relax. We stayed with our friends Ann and Marcel both nights in Phoenix, and I cannot say enough about their amazing hospitality and warmth. Ann cooked us all breakfast both mornings, had gift bags for both of us, and had everything in the house a marathoner or a Mudder could want to eat, drink, or use before a race. Her house is like one of those places you go away to to recover after plastic surgery where they pamper you, but hers is before a crazy athletic competition. She should charge money.

Ann and Marcel hosted a wonderful BBQ for the Mudders and their spouses, with steak, hot dogs, pasta salad, bread, and cookies and ice cream for dessert. We ate, watched the videos from the Mudder, and I went to bed early. Lindsay also brought me a wonderful bag of treats for good luck for my marathon the following day. So sweet, and much appreciated... the bubble bath she gave me was amazing and so needed after my race.

Then- the morning was here. Marathon morning. I awoke at 5 to Ann making me coffee and toasting me a bagel, and packing me a bag with a banana and water. Amazing, right?! I met my friend Erin, her sister (my neighbor) Katie, and her parents at Erin's place, which was right by the finish line. They dropped us with plenty of time to spare, I used the restroom, handed them all my cold weather gear (56*, what!? so nice), and Erin and I huddled in our corral.


The race was so much fun. That is really how it was...fun.  And truly, running 26.2 miles was not as bad as I thought it would be. I had Ann, Marcel, and Rick at miles 9 (and his Mommy, whose work was right on the race course), (just missed them) 13, 19, and 26.2. This totally helped pass the time and give me something to look forward to. I read signs, listened to music, Gu'd, watered, and enjoyed every minute. I kept smiling, soaked it all in, and really tried to be in the moment. I finished my first full marathon in 4:26:08; 10:09 pace. Not too shabby, and my goal being 4:30, I was really pleased.


I told my husband afterwards that I could do the races all the time, it's the training that is the hard part. I think I'll stick to halves to stay in shape. Really so much less time consuming... but nothing compares to a full. And I am even walking almost normal two days later, so another full might not be so bad after all. Maybe..... after baby. Making a baby is my new goal. And I couldn't be more excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment