Tabs

1.05.2012

Resolutions.

30 New Year’s Resolutions for my 30's.

  • Before a status update, Tweet, Tumble, or Instagram, pause and say to myself, “is it entirely necessary that I share this morsel of thought with my entire social network?”and if the answer is not, “yes, I absolutely must,” then step away from the Internet.
  • Know which candidate I'm going to vote for in the upcoming presidential election, and know why.
  • Enough with the food worry and exercise preoccupation. If I want to lose a little weight quickly, eat less and exercise like crazy. If I want to lose weight slowly, do whatever Jennifer Hudson did.
  • Spend money on a flight to see a friend or family member who lives far away.
  • Stop watching the Kardashians, all of them. It’s not helping anyone, least of all the Kardashians.
  • Spend much less than the money I earn each month. Work harder, save more. I have trips to buy instead.
  • Call someone on the phone at least once a week, and speak to him or her for at least ten minutes.
  • Wait 30 seconds before I look up a fact I can’t remember on my phone, and try to remember it using my brain. This is what the olden days were like.
  • Replace one terrible reality show I'm currently watching with one wonderful scripted show currently available on television. 
  • Try that food I think I don’t like but have never actually tried, unless it’s brussels sprouts. They really don’t need any more attention.
  • Be prepared.
  • Cut one person out of my life who I truly do not like and add one person who I truly do. Note: not on Facebook, on Earth.

  • Don't sweat the small stuff. 99% of the things that bother me are not a part of the BIG picture.
  • Remember imitation is a form a flattery. This includes blatant replication. Remember this, try really, really hard to remember this. See previous resolution above.
  • Take the stairs.
  • Volunteer once over the next 90 days.  I'll feel really good about it, and probably end up volunteering again over the next 275.
  • Tell someone who I love that I love them on a more regular basis. To their face, not in a text.
  • No cell phones at meals, or when I am in the presence of friends.
  • Do something that takes me out of my comfort zone. Try something new. May it be a recipe, dance class, or learning something that does not come naturally. Like taking really good photographs.
  • Write handwritten letters to people that are important to me. Even just to say hello.
  • Do not listen to gossip, participate in gossip, or tolerate gossip.
  • Wake up earlier, enjoy a cup of coffee and maybe even breakfast with my husband during the work week.
  • Go to bed earlier.
  • Read books that inspire passionate conversation.
  • Back up my entire online life onto an external hard drive, especially my photos.
  • Drink more water.
  • Make an effort to do things I want to do, and say no to things that I do not.
  • Eat more organic foods and stay away from processed junk. Unless it is a Toblerone, or spicy Cheez-Its.
  • Crap or get off the pot. This applies to whatever thing I'm not doing that I should just sack up and do already.
  • And in the eternal words of Tom Haverford, “TREAT YO SELF!”

Happy 2012 everyone!

1 comment: