Tabs

11.15.2011

Grateful.

On my run tonight, I couldn't help but think how lucky I am to live in Tucson. There are many reasons, and one being the outdoor community we have here, and the opportunities to enjoy the beautiful weather. After I saw my private speech client after work, I was not feeling the treadmill. It gets dark so early these days, and by the time I got home and headed out for my run, I would have hardly any daylight left. So, I looked online, and found the Santa Cruz River Walk. Apparently, when Europeans arrived in what is now Arizona, the Santa Cruz River had wide banks suitable for irrigation; over time its banks have been narrowed and contained and are now lined by River Park. These days it's a dry wash, or arroyo, most of the year, but sudden summer thunderstorms and rainwater from upper elevations can turn it into a raging river in a matter of hours. It's a favorite spot for walkers, joggers, bicyclists, and horseback riders. The park has a bike path, restrooms, drinking fountains, and sculptures created by local artists. It was less than a mile from my client's house. Perfect. 




I got my run in with daylight to spare. I am so fortunate to live in a town with a trail and path system that practically circles the entire city. No matter where I am during the day, where my private clients take me, there will be a path waiting nearby. I am so grateful. 




My toes and arches no longer hurt, either. I am so happy I kept pushing through and didn't give up when my body was fighting against all this running. I am still scared about the marathon, but the more "long" runs I get in, the less terrifying it becomes. Happy Running!!



No comments:

Post a Comment