Tabs

9.09.2011

Hope.

As I was running on the treadmill yesterday, the President's address to Congress came on the television at the gym, and I took out my earbuds, and listened intently. I am, in no way, shape, or form, someone who pretends to understand all of the political jargon and the complicated rhetoric spewed from journalists and lobbyists when it comes to the economic siutation in America. I don't know if I fully commit myself to one political party. I do, however, listen when the President speaks, and there were a few sentiments made by him yesterday that struck a chord with me.



He was speaking about the 'American Job Act', a bill he wants passed that he feels will turn around the economic situation in America, create thousands of jobs, help out the families that are less fortunate, and ultimately boost our economy.

The President spoke with passion and determination, it made me want to listen, and I pray that what he says will happen, actually will. I work in the education field, and over the last 3 years, I have seen many teachers get riffed. Amazing teachers, teachers that teach about art, music, P.E., not to mention our counselors that are so desperately needed in the public schools where I work. It is sad enough when you hear about it, but when you live it, and see these teachers with so much to give, and so much passion for their field and their students lose their jobs because there just isn't funding, it is heartbreaking.

The number one thing that stood out to me about the President's speech last night was this:

"...millions of Americans who are watching right now: they don't care about politics. They have real life concerns. Many have spent months looking for work. Others are doing their best just to scrape by - giving up nights out with the family to save on gas or make the mortgage; postponing retirement to send a kid to college.

These men and women grew up with faith in an America where hard work and responsibility paid off. They believed in a country where everyone gets a fair shake and does their fair share - where if you stepped up, did your job, and were loyal to your company, that loyalty would be rewarded with a decent salary and good benefits; maybe a raise once in awhile. If you did the right thing, you could make it in America.

But for decades now, Americans have watched that compact erode. They have seen the deck too often stacked against them. And they know that Washington hasn't always put their interests first."

I see this all too much where I work and where I live. Hard-working, honest parents doing the best they can with what they've got, and they are barely scraping by. I would love to see what the President said next come to fruition:

"The purpose of the American Jobs Act is simple: to put more people back to work and more money in the pockets of those who are working. It will create more jobs for construction workers, more jobs for teachers, more jobs for veterans, and more jobs for the long-term unemployed...The American Jobs Act will repair and modernize at least 35,000 schools. It will put people to work right now fixing roofs and windows; installing science labs and high-speed Internet in classrooms all across this country...

Pass this jobs bill, and thousands of teachers in every state will go back to work. These are the men and women charged with preparing our children for a world where the competition has never been tougher. But while they're adding teachers in places like South Korea, we're laying them off in droves. It's unfair to our kids. It undermines their future and ours. And it has to stop. Pass this jobs bill, and put our teachers back in the classroom where they belong."



Now, I do not know if his plan is accurate, or even possible. But- it gave me hope (and distracted me from my run, which is always nice). It told me there is possibility out there, and hope and possibility are sometimes all we can ask for. Right?


No comments:

Post a Comment