Tabs

9.13.2011

Weekend.

It has been a few days since I blogged, things have been a whirlwind since Friday! My sweet husband and I are getting ready to go on a trip. A trip we have been planning for two years with some of our bestest, bestest friends, and I am so excited I can hardly breathe. So, I have been shopping, and packing, and organizing. It is a lot of work to go away, and I have a lot to do. But- we are slowly getting there.

google images

This weekend was just so much fun. On Friday night, I met up with my coworkers at Chuy's, one of our favorite happy hour spots. (Despite the fact that one of the sentences painted on the wall has a misspelling in it, so I must sit with my back to it or it drives me crazy). I was only able to stay a short time because my awesome Mother-in-law and her equally wonderful friend was in town to visit, and attend the jewelry show that comes twice a year to Tucson. They always come to visit when the show is here, my Mother-in-law loves jewelry more than I do (which is no small feat), and has more in her collection than Elizabeth Taylor.

Google images

We all had a great time visiting, eating, and catching up. My Mother-in-law is seriously the one of the most loving, generous, hard-working, and fun ladies I have ever met, I am so lucky. We went to Mama Louisa's for Italian before my long run Saturday morning, went out to breakfast twice, and tried out Amber Restaurant, which is the only place in town that serves authentic Polish food. We gorged ourselves!! Every place was better than the last. Yum!


Google images


Saturday morning I ran ten miles along Julian Wash. It would have been a perfect run had I not been running into a wind tunnel the first 5 miles. But- the last 5 were glorious, and I ended up with a better time than I have ever run 10 miles before, so I was pretty happy. It just stinks because I wonder what my time could have been, had I not been practically pushed backwards the entire time... oh well, there's always next week!

Google images

Sunday, my Mother-in-law and her friend left, but not before I went to the jewelry show with them to sell off some of my old gold. She has been telling me forever that I need to sell any gold I don't wear, and boy was she right! Gold is at the highest it has ever been, and I made a killing selling off a few of my old pieces that have never seen my wrist. Then, we said our goodbyes, I was sad to see them go, we had a fun weekend.

Google images

Sunday was the 10th anniversary of the attacks of 9/11. I couldn't help but reflect on that day 10 years ago, and where I was. I was in my third year of undergrad up at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. I was on my way to my 8 am class that Tuesday, and got in my car and turned on the radio. I heard the broadcaster say, "The Towers are gone, they have fallen. There has been a horrendous act of terrorism on the United States of America."


Google images

 

I struggled to comprehend what they were saying. The World Trade Center?? Those two huge buildings in New York City?? Fallen down? I had no idea the magnitude of what I was about to learn more about, or what these events meant for our country. I called my boyfriend at the time, who was still asleep, and asked him to turn on the TV, and tell me what was going on. He didn't want to get out of bed, he too had no idea what was really happening.

That day at school was like a dream. Everything seemed quiet, at a standstill, it seemed like everyone was afraid to talk, make a noise. There were tears, faces of disbelief, and every class had the television tuned in to the news. New videos emerged, angles of the plane crashes, and accounts of what was going on at "Ground Zero". It was all a haze, yet I still remember it so vividly. Even today, 10 years later, as I do every year, I watched the documentaries and specials with bated breath and horror. It was a truly unbelievable day, and so many more people were affected than I can even comprehend. I suppose the most we can do now is pray for those affected, those with lost loved ones, and remember those who gave their lives for our safety before, during, and since those attacks. God Bless America.

'Opening up Skies' by John de Guzman

No comments:

Post a Comment