Tabs

9.01.2011

Luckiest.

I know sometimes this blog will undoubtedly look like a love letter to my sweet husband, but yesterday was one of those days that he absolutely deserves it. My post yesterday was about all the things I am coveting as of late. From fashion, to makeup, to accessories, to movies. I love to daydream about shopping, maybe it's a girl thing, maybe it's just me. Sometimes I will go on to my favorite websites, fill up my shopping cart full of their loveliest items, and close out without purchasing anything, it gives me {almost} the same satisfaction as buying all of it. Almost.

But yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about this coat I found on the Anthropologie website. It is super adorable, don't you think?? I sent the link to my mother, hoping she would "surprise" me with it as a "Congrats! You are going on your first Europe trip!" gift. (They have those, don't they?) She sent me an email telling me she was laughing out loud. I do not think that pretty package will be arriving on my doorstep. I sent the link to my husband, "Isn't it so cute!?". His response was "Yes, very cute, honey". Which is what he always says when I am lusting after something new. Nothing out of the ordinary.

So, I went about my day, daydreaming of the turquoise peacoat with the frilled echelons, thinking of myself twirling and skipping across the streets of Paris in a few short weeks, wearing my perfect coat.

I was cooking dinner, as I do every night, when my husband came home from the gym after work. Kisses hello, "How was your day?", etc... I told him there was still time left before dinner so he should go up stairs and relax, surf the web, whatever it is he does in his "man cave", aka. our office. He didn't know, but earlier that day I had gone to pick up Lil Wayne's newest album he had been waiting for to be released, and put it on his computer as a surprise. Just a little something to brighten his day, he works so hard.

So, he went upstairs and I was expecting to hear, "Aw babe, thanks!". But- nothing.... I could hear him moving around in our bedroom, figured he was changing or something. Then, I hear his voice as I am standing in the kitchen, "Babe, close your eyes." So, I did, and behind his back he pulled out his giant change bank, with a bow on top.


He said, "Babe, I have been thinking about it, and thinking about it. I want you to buy your coat with this money. I think it is perfect for you to wear on our trip. You have been working so hard at work, at your private speech, and at home. You deserve it." I was speechless, and so touched. Rick has been saving his loose change for as long as I can remember. Every time he has a clanging in his pocket after a day of work, or we get change from buying anything, he puts it right there in that bank. Whenever there is change lying around the house, and I go to pick it up he says, "Put that in my bank, I am saving for something special, I just don't know what yet."

I was often envious of him and that change bank. There were times when I needed some quick cash for something, or we were saving up, or on a budget and couldn't go right out and buy something shiny that had caught my eye. I so wished I could dive in there and go pick up something pretty to wear. I never did touch his bank, he had been saving for so long for something "special". Well, now I know that something special was me. And he hadn't even seen the CD yet. I am the luckiest.

The Luckiest by Ben Folds

p.s. You see that new banner up on top of my blog?? Why, yes, my sweet husband made that, too. Told you I was lucky.

1 comment:

  1. And THIS may just be why you two are my favorite couple ever!

    ReplyDelete